Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Ever Wonder?

Whose "Box" are you in? And who's in your "Box"?  I'm not talking about the mail box or the inbox, I'm talking about THE BOX. Doesn't everybody have one? It's in your attic or garage, maybe in the back of your closet, or in the shed? You know - "The Box" that you've been saving things in? The one with your most precious and cherished tokens; the proof of your memories. 

My Box is in my attic. I have 2 of them, actually. One contains things that, either my parents or I, had the foresight to save from Kindergarten through High School. The second one contains all things college, career, marriage and child birth. I have moved several times over the years and I wonder how it came to be that no matter where I've gone, the cherished items in my 2 boxes have managed to arrive safely and with priority at each destination. I wonder; Why this stuff? and, How did this particular thing make the cut?

Some of the things I have saved are no-brainers. Obviously, I saved my "gold" medal from winning the spelling bee in 2nd grade. The blue, red and yellow ribbons I got from running the 50- and -100 yard dashes every Tues night during the summer over at the high school. I won a bunch of trophies playing soccer and I tried to hang onto them, but since space was becoming limited, I ended up removing the front plate with the information and I just saved those in some random ziploc bag. I smile about these little trophy-tokens now because back then, you really and truly had to WIN to receive a trophy. I have my autograph book from 6th grade, all successive yearbooks, notes from friends/crushes, and prom mugs. Mugs! Are mugs still being given out on "Prom Night"??? An old BC High hockey roster, a beach towel with my high school's name and mascot on it, a "Co-Ed Naked Lacrosse" t-shirt; anyone remember those? How about that ticket stub from the Celtics Game that EM and I went to with our 6th grade teacher, Mr. D?  We were both in 6th grade when we went. Yeah, like THAT would ever happen now! All of this stuff though - it's in The Box. More recently, I have added both a guitar pick and a drumstick, given to me by two members of the band "Bald Walter".

Alas, all of that stuff is the "What"... What about the "Who"? Who is in your box?
Nate "Tiny" Archibald is in my box. Not REALLY him, but my (first-ever!) pair of Nike canvas high-top sneakers that Tiny #7 autographed. He was my Hero for Hoop, and I couldn't wait for his basketball clinic at (where else?)... the high school. I was in 7th grade and my whole team was going. Unfortunately for me, THE DAY had arrived but I needed surgery ASAP (yup, appendix!) so I was devastated that I had to miss it! The good part? The very next day, my basketball teammates visited me in the hospital- with said, signed sneakers. How awesome is that?
Mike Milbury is in my box, along with Pie McKenzie, Ken Hodge, Dee Brown; pictures of me standing next to them and I'm totally Star-Struck in each photo. I've got my favorite World Cup Italian soccer player in there, favorite that is- until Roberto Baggio choked on a penalty shot the following season. They are all great to have; good "proof" but still, a bit removed from me personally.

Down to the nitty-gritty. Who have I carried with me everywhere I've gone for the past 30-something years? Who have you been carrying? And, by 'carrying', I don't mean it in a heavy, burdensome way; I mean it more in the ceremonial, revered way. To me, "The Box" is a physical, tangible manifestation of the heart. Inside it are all things good and significant; the most invaluable and exquisitely appreciated things and people and memories. I can't tell you exactly who is in my "Box", but you would think that they'd all definitely know this.  I'm willing to bet though, that not everybody in there would realize it. I was lucky enough to find out recently that I was in someone's Box, and I'm giving them props right now because first: who woulda thunk? And second: they sparked this particular blog. See? You never know...

Start a Box for your kids. Or keep adding to your own.  In fact, go open up your Box. It'll open up your heart.

3 comments:

  1. The Box! Love it, Kaybee.

    I have several boxes that I've lugged around for ages. Just a small sampling:

    -Cocktail napkins scribbled with jibberish
    -“Quote books” from high school and college trips to Bermuda, Montreal and Cancun
    -Ticket stubs from concerts and games
    -A purple “Shit Happens” pin
    -Love letters
    -21st birthday cards
    -Hate mail
    -Set list from a U2 show in 1985 ripped off a speaker at Worcester Centrum
    -A wind-up baby chick from Store 24 that an old boyfriend unceremoniously grabbed from me and said “Don’t have a bird!”
    KJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, the box. Although I hadn't thought of mine to be quite like yours...now, I will. I had started a box for my daughter, but most certainly will add more to now that I realize how precious it will be for her at 18. I will keep it hidden until after High School graduation, sometime before she leaves for college. Hopefully, she will treasure it as much as I will putting it together.
    ~
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff; great topic, kaybee... Everyone should have a box as you've described. I do, filled with stuff not unlike KJ's.
    I submit the box you describe is merely a physical replica of the real box itself- our hearts. Each person's heart is its own deep ocean of warm memories, accomplishment, lessons learned, regret, love and loss. =]

    ReplyDelete