Monday, January 24, 2011

The Badge List (?)

"The Bucket List"...Yeah, not a big fan of the term. I'm not sure what I'd like to call it, but I know that the things I want to do in this life would not fit in a bucket. Things that I have already managed to accomplish don't even fit into a bucket. I also think that a bucket is not worthy enough to hold all that you want to do/have done. Buckets are small - and while they have thousands of uses, I think of them as receptacles for trash, garbage, and well, throw-up.
"Mom, I feel sick!",  "Okay honey, do you want me to get the bucket?"

Plus, bucket rhymes with that phrase beginning with "F" - which happens to carry a huge negative connotation, and that particular phrase is similar to "forget it", "screw it". No, a bucket is not an appropriate vehicle to store your goals; the goals you have set and the goals you have achieved. I think it should be called something else that has a little more grandeur attached.  How about an "armoire" perhaps, or  a "wardrobe"? A friend of mine SH (*You Go, Girl!) calls hers a "Life List" rather than a "Bucket List", and believe me, if you could see what she has done with her List, her Life, it is both phenomenal and amazing; and it don't belong in no bucket!
I like the "wardrobe" reference because in fashion-terms, one of the golden rules is: If it FEELS better, it LOOKS better. Ergo, to tie it all in, the goals you set for yourself - and what you accomplish along the way - can be WORN like a badge. Badges tell people who you are. Whether they are badges of honor, courage, endurance, or faith - they show up on the outside to everyone as pride. Think of a highly decorated military official. All of those ribbons and medals on their dress uniform- I believe some refer to this as "salad" ; worn with extreme honor, pride...and humility. It's less about blatant bragging, and more about the pride in achieving. So, imagine if we walked around like this: for everything we've accomplished thus far, the various insignia is consolidated to the left side, and what we wish to do - would be worn on the right. Each time something is achieved, we would move the device, or pin, from the right to the left. When that fills up, a new one is started and the full one is placed in the wardrobe. (Not the bucket!)
Anyhoo, after a lengthy attempt to garner a common visual, what am I calling it? The Wardrobe Badges? The Badge List? I still don't know yet...

Call it whatever you like, but make it your own. There are many "suggestion" lists and ideas of things to do in your lifetime. (Just Google "Bucket List" and you'll see.) But come on, you can come up with a few of your own. One of the lists I saw said "Meet The Pope." Who, me? Sorry - zero interest. But I would love to meet Bono and The Dalai Lama .
If I met The Pope, I'd say "Hello, nice to meet you", and then I'd feel all.....guilty.
On the other hand, I have a thousand questions for Bono and The Dalai Lama; I mean, I honestly believe that together, these two can save the world! Hello Burton's? Reservation for three, please.

I've been doing pretty good recently. I've always wanted to start a blog (check.) I wanted to start playing soccer again (check.) I finally started doing yoga (thank you, self!). I've wanted to sing with the band... which I did this past Saturday night and man! I felt like a G-D Superstar ! Might not seem like much, but it's mine.

What else for me? Well, for starters, I'd like to write a book. Run a marathon. Surf in Hawaii. Dance in a Flashmob. Hold the Stanley Cup.
What about you? What's on your list - the "I've done this" list, and the "I want to do this" list? Anyone want to share?

Gotta go...I need to make a phone call to inquire about a women's hockey league I just heard about; it's called "Chicks With Sticks". Awesome...

2 comments:

  1. I, too, would like to meet Bono one day. U2 have been very influential in my life, and for a very long time. I would like to think Bono and I could share a table, drink coffee, and have a very sacred sort of chat.

    Welcome to Blogland. Enjoy your stay …

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the Life List, you will be decorated! A big salad! Great post. You're so dead on as usual. Badges would be a sweet way to wear all of our accomplishments, like, well, badges of honor :) All I think about when I hear the word bucket (aside from puking) is "kick the bucket" -- kind of the opposite of the premise xoxxo

    ReplyDelete